Hawke's Bay however I am happy to discuss this further and could negotiate travelling to other areas.
My arts or creative practice (including details about my specific focus within that art form/practice and my strengths)
Delivering a Personal Development programme and a Performing Arts programme. The personal development programme teaches Tamariki and Rangatahi how to be confident. It teaches tools like: how to learn, habits, grounding, mindfulness, body language, self-awareness, emotional awareness, focus, physical awareness, self-management, group management, public speaking, body posture, self-reflection, group work, ownership, poi, mau rakau, personal challenges, energy, ownership, teamwork, group participation, Dance, Voice and Drama to name a few areas. The programme is very interactive as there are many ways to teach different skills and different ways that our Tamariki and Rangatahi learn. So we are moving, playing, creating, singing, writing, running, dancing, moving, creating, discussing themes, microphone work, group work and more. Throughout the programme the students work on creating a 10–20 minute Theatre showing which they perform to their peers, schools and parents. We would also run more Performing Arts programmes that create an hour long devised piece.
My track record of experience and success - or the track record of experience and success of the creative or artist that I will partner with
- 2016 Cert 6 NZ Film Academy
- 2006–08 Bachelors of Acting Toi Whakaari
- 2003 Diploma Course in Onscreen Acting Southseas Film and Television
- 2001-02 Diploma Course in Performing Arts Drama E.I.T Performing Arts Drama
- I have delivered programmes for 11 years. Currently living in Hawke's Bay I have either created or been a part of many programmes.
Describe the experience you have had working with children or young people, teaching or facilitating creative processes
I have worked and focused my attention and skills as a Theatre Practitioner within the Arts Communities in NZ for over a decade. I have had the privilege of working closely with well over 2000 Tamariki and Rangatahi in Performing Arts. The work I do has been going into communities and schools working with Tamariki and Rangatahi that don’t ordinarily have the opportunity to perform as well as children and youth that have been doing it for many years. However I gravitate towards working in community groups and low decile areas and schools. There is so much raw talent and so many amazing stories to tell that if we don’t provide programmes and Performing Arts initiatives to foster their talents what a loss to the growth of our Arts industry. I have been involved in facilitating, creating, working and being contracted alongside Performing Arts programmes, classes, sessions, workshops for children over the last 11 years. My business provides services to children, youth and adults in Performing Arts and Personal Development or both. This year I have facilitated programmes and workshops with around 250 children and youth and around 180 adults.
Why I want to be part of the Creatives in Schools programme and how my involvement will link to my creative practice
- I am already currently working in schools running programmes as a creative practitioner and I love it.
- I love working with our future leaders helping them to use Performing Arts to build confidence.
- I write raps, poetry, skits, short films, plays, speeches, songs that are used within all the programmes I run so it allows me to continue creating more work.
- It allows me to hone my skills and talents in storytelling and creating theatre.
- We have so much raw talent that if we can only have more access to fostering those skills we would be creating some amazing talent for the future of the Arts.
- I have been performing and a part of the Arts for more than 2 decades and I am still surprised how Performing Arts and the Arts in general are still seen as not a priority. I believe it has the ability to hugely impact our communities in a positive way.
- This allows me to keep connecting with other local practitioners as we collaborate and work together.