Waiheke Island - ongoing, Northland (1 short-term project), North Island (1 short-term project), South Island (1 short-term project)
My arts or creative practice (including details about my specific focus within that art form/practice and my strengths)
Creative Film Maker with background in performance poetry, writing, Body Art and Wearable Arts. Aim to create strong social and cultural identity through film and music, encourage people to find their positive voice and ongoing Youth mentoring. My working name alludes to igniting the spark within each person to believe in their own unique ability. Since 2010 I have worked with hundreds of individuals and groups, fairly specific to my local whenua Waiheke Island. I also have ongoing collaborations with performing artists worldwide.
My track record of experience and success - or the track record of experience and success of the creative or artist that I will partner with
- Over 110 short films online and for private clients
- Feature Documentary "Kia PIritahi - Adorning Our Whare Wakairo'
- Judge at Piritahi Hau Ora Youth Film Showcase
- In-house film-maker for NZ BODY ART TRUST
- Performance Poetry Slam Winner (UK)
- Multiple performance and in-school poetry sessions
Describe the experience you have had working with children or young people, teaching or facilitating creative processes
- Professional Nanny
- International Junk To Funk - creating wearable art in schools and community for over 10 years
- Youth Mentor with Cinema Trust - creating films from scratch to successful outcomes
- YOUTH MUSIC VIDEO (awards) - own initiative collaboration with Creative Communities NZ (includes workshops, track recording, step by step working to camera, solo group choreography, inclusion in all aspects of production)
Why I want to be part of the Creatives in Schools programme and how my involvement will link to my creative practice
Through enabling the coming generations to know themselves and find inner strength we move forward into a stronger home for us all. It is vital those with differences of abilities and opinions are given choice and courage to explore parameters both inner and outer. Arts are a way to express and explore strengths, weakness, similarities and uniqueness. Importantly there is much pressure put onto our youth, whether exams, social protocol or 'saving the world'. As an active environmentalist and human rights advocate, I have learnt to use both poetry and film making as a way to be part of what is around me while enhancing observation to keep perspectives. Both art forms use logic and flowing of creativity to balance the extremes of emotions that accumulate through childhood and teens. The personal outcome helps individuals to focus, work through and let go deep questions. To move towards peace with this live and take responsibility for choices we will encounter. The public outcome means we can share ideas and see them accepted or related to. I would also love to collaborate more with other artists of all ages. and am open to skill-sharing opportunities.