Marlborough and Nelson.
My arts or creative practice (including details about my specific focus within that art form/practice and my strengths)
I specialise in the Performing Arts. I am skilled at using the Performing Arts (dance, drama, and music) as a creative tool to amalgamate the solutions to social issues. I am skilled as a Theatre Playwright, Director of Theatre and Film. With my experience as a vocal coach, songwriter, and composer, I have had the opportunity to use music to mentor students to get involved in community art events and the creative process of composing and writing their own music to positively influence their mental health. I have skills in teaching and choreographing dances such as Hip Hop, Contemporary, and Pacific Dance. My focus is Pacific music, drama, and dance as a tool to mentor and educate students.
My track record of experience and success - or the track record of experience and success of the creative or artist that I will partner with
- I have completed my Diploma in Pacific Performing Arts from the Pacific Institute of Performing Arts and currently studying towards Bachelor of Psychology through Massey University.
- Experience in events and project management.
- Gained experience working as a performer for two seasonal Theatre Show schools tour in Auckland.
- Entrepreneur and director of company that creates performing arts opportunities and mentoring programmes (nominated for Community Impact award).
- Co-direct local arts collective - directed school holiday arts programme and teach dance and music.
- Created and facilitated Pacific Arts Education programme across seven schools in Marlborough in preparation for Poly Fest Community Event.
- Designed emotional and holistic well-being programme for boys aged 8-12 years and young people who struggle to manage their emotions.
- Playwright and Director of Marlborough's first Pacific Theatre production
- Completed Certificate in Whanau Ora Level 4 in 2019.
- Vice-President for a film society.
Describe the experience you have had working with children or young people, teaching or facilitating creative processes
- I have worked mainly with children and young peoples aged 5-21 years.
- Teach dance and direct music projects at Pacific Institute of Performing Arts.
- I have managed school holiday programme for ages 12-19 years for a local arts collective where we workshop the dance and music for the video shoot.
- I have been a performer and mentor for primary/intermediate schools tour in Auckland for students who need positive values instilled and they are a part of the workshop process and perform in a section of the show.
- Facilitate Pacific Arts Education programme across seven primary schools in Marlborough for Poly Fest. Support and direct schools with a Pacific item of their choice and teach a combined schools Pacific dance.
- Playwright and Director of Marlborough's first Pacific Theatre production for secondary school students. Directed and coordinated the rehearsals.
- Managed enrolments, health and safety, and creative activities for youth school holiday programmes.
- Design and facilitate an emotional well-being pilot programme for school boys aged 8-12 years.
- Facilitate anger management programme for youth aged 13-18 years under a Māori social service provider.
Why I want to be part of the Creatives in Schools programme and how my involvement will link to my creative practice
My interest in the Creatives in Schools programme is motivated by the passion to further collaborate with the schools to explore how the Performing Arts can make a positive impact on a student's learning type. I believe my involvement in the Creatives in Schools programme will provide a unique mentorship programme for students using drama, dance, and music to develop and contribute to the students' health and well-being. The use of the Pacific Performing Arts can amalgamate the schools and community to get involved and educate the wider community of the Pacific Culture. I strongly believe my role in the community will proliferate the awareness of the Pacific Performing Arts being valuable in schools. I will use the projects created and delivered in the schools to strengthen the partnership and involvement between the schools and local performing arts industry professionals. I believe this will increase the opportunities for students who enjoy learning about performing arts to get involved in community art events and projects.