Lesson Four: Creating Music in Garageband
- Lesson One: Prior Knowledge
- Lesson Two: Using a Mac and Importing Music
- Lesson Three: Introduction to Garageband
- Lesson Four: Creating Music in Garageband
- Lesson Five: Making a Soundtrack
- Lesson Six: Pure Play
- Lesson 7-10: Workstations
- Activities for Lesson Three
- Music Sites & Downloads
- Music Language
Specific Learning Outcomes:
- Students will select musical ideas, structure and arrange their own short piece, experimenting with changes in the musical elements and effects (PK, DI).
- Develop dynamics and colour in composition ('less is more' concept)
- Compose a 16 bar arrangement using drums, effects a hook and ostinato
- Experiment with different effects.
Computers, data projectors, amplifier, microphones
Words 4 Today:
Composition, dynamics, structure, hook, ostinato, effects
- Review last lesson including "Words 4 Today"M
- Words 4 Today and learning goals (on PowerPoint)
- Discuss dynamics, hook and ostinato in more detail
- use "I just wanna live" (Good Charlotte) to explain hook
- use "Motivation Proclamation" (Good Charlotte) to describe building a song
- use "Lose Yourself" (Emenem) to explain ostinato
- use a Garageband piece of your own to show how dynamics and colour look on a screen
- Model the use of dynamics in a 4 bar loop - create a short musical piece with the students using an
and a hook
- the students can pick the sounds and tell you where to place instruments to create dynamics and colour
Activity - self and peer assessed based on agreed success criteria
- Students make a 16 bar composition using a hook, ostinato, drums and effects
- Use the time to listen to loops and play with effects (let them experiment with finding and learning what effects are).
- Listen to each other's compositions - identifying the hook, ostinato and effects
- Save composition to their folder along with their 4 bar arrangement and pdf of their voice.
Conclusion - formative assessment activity
- Review the "Words 4 today" and monitor student responses.