NCEA Level 3 Art History
- This section contains useful links to websites to support teaching NCEA Level 3 Art History.
- A Beginner’s Guide to Florence : early Renaissance study from Khan Academy.
- Ambrogio Lorenzetti : links to key art works and influences.
- Ambrogio Lorenzetti - 1290 - 1348 : biographical information and commentary about Ambrogio’s work.
- Area 1 Early Renaissance ( 21 KB)
- Area 2 Late Renaissance and Mannerism ( 24 KB)
- Art of the Lorenzetti Brothers :biographical information and many links to art works and various influences.
- Brunelleschi and Ghiberti : article and video about the competition for the Baptistry doors between Brunelleschi and Ghiberti focussing on the Sacrifice of Isaac.
- Gentile da Fabriano - Coronation of the Virgin : informative commentary on the Coronation of the Virgin with a selection of images.
- Donatello : biographical information and good notes on style. Excellent selection of art works including references to size and materials.
- Donatello - First Modern Sculptor : commentary about major Works.
- Donatello and Michelangelo's Davids - a comparison
- Donatello's David : article and video clip on Donatello’s David.
- Florence's Gates of Paradise : short clip showing structure and size of the doors and their restoration.
- Florentine Painting : information about the Florentine school and development of the naturalistic style.
- Fra Angelico : his artworks. Extensive article about his life and his altarpieces and frescoes.
- Fra Angelico - biography and context.
- Fra Angelico - videos 1. Great visuals on major works in a video – no commentary.
- Fra Angelico - videos 2. Video on frescoes and altarpieces with some written commentary.
- Fra Angelico ( Guido di Pietro) 1395 - 1455 . Thematic essay about Angelico’s work and slide show of some key works.
- Fra Angelico - The Annunciation : article and video from Smathistory on Angelico’s The Annunciation.
- Gates of Paradise - Florence Baptistry : notes and good sized images on the Baptistry Doors.
- Gentile da Fabriano - art works 1. A good selection of works with details of size, media and location.
- Gentile da Fabriano - art works 2. Good selection of key art works including details – no dialogue.
- Gentile da Fabriano : detailed biographical notes and information about specific art works.
- Gentile da Fabriano - 1370 - 1427 : article identifying important influences with links to references.
- Ghirlandaio - Birth of the Virgin : article from the Khan Academy including images and layout of the chapel of Ghirlandaio’s Birth of the Virgin, in the Church of Santa Maria Novella.
- Giotto di Bondone - biography. Good background biographical information and a wide selection of images to download.
- Giotto di Bondone - Arena Chapel.Great images of the Arena Chapel – no dialogue.
- Giotto di Bondone - frescoes. Good narration and images.
- Giotto - Arena (Scrovengi) Chapel : Khan Academy video about the story and style of the frescoes in the chapel.
- Humanism (Word 39.5KB) : a resource developed by Sandra Chesterman which details the circumstances which gave rise to Humanism. It could be used purely as teacher notes or could be a very purposeful student handout.
- Independent Art Features : the focus and emphasis on beauty within form during the Renaissance.
- International Gothic : selection of images and essays about the art style and time period.
- Italian Art Terms You Should Know
- Italian Mannerist Art : this link is to an extensive exhibition of Mannerist art at the Stadel Museum in Frankfurt in 2016 including artists from Florence, Italy including Pontormo, Bronzino, Andrea del Sarto, Rosso and Vasari. Spanning the period from the return of the Medici to Florence in 1512 and the initial artistic endeavours of the new generation around Pontormo and Rosso to the 1568 publication of Vasari’s Lives, “Maniera” will be devoted to Florence as the first centre of European Mannerism.
- Italian Renaissance Art - Naturalism : Renaissance Art – Naturalism – introductory info from Artyfactory.
- Level 3 Context Resources ( 25 KB)
- Lorenzetti - Allegory of Good Government and the Effects of Good and Bad Government, 1337-40 : YouTube clip about the Allegory of Good Government from Smart History
- Masaccio - short article with biographical details and links to other artists and art works.
- Masaccio's the Tribute Money in the Brancacci Chapel : article and video on Tribute Money in the Brancacci Chapel
- Masaccio, The Holy Trinity, c1427 : discussion and video about Masaccio’s Trinity.
- Piero della Francesca - Legend of the True Cross Cycle : Piero della Francesca's fresco cycle - one of the most important monuments of Early Renaissance Italian painting.
- Pietro Lorenzetti - Birth of the Virgin : article on Pietro with a series of questions and answers about his work.
- Renaissance Art Making Techniques : a good starting point for the study of Verrocchio and Italian art. Resource from the Victoria and Albert museum covering different Renaissance art making techniques including bronze. Useful for a media and processes activity as well as Renaissance art content.
- Renaissance Painting : some good resources on the different classical influences from the early Renaissance through to Mannerism.
- Scrovengi Chapel - Virtual Tour : tour of the interrior of this chapel that contains frescoes by Giotto.
- Siena in the Late Gothic - an introduction : Khan Academy article about Sienese art during the late Gothic period.
- Sienese Painting : key themes. Thematic essay on Sienese painting with substantial section on Martini and a slideshow.Good introduction and factual information about area, style of painting and artists and the related art styles and history of art in Italy during this time
- Sienese School of Painting : brief description of C14 – C16th Sienese art with links to key artists and inclusion of some major art works.
- Simone Martini - key art works including references and useful links.
- St Luke, Simone Martini : commentary about a painting ‘St Luke’ by Martini in the Getty Museum.
- Style weblinks - Area 1 Early Renaissance ( 16 KB)
- Style weblinks - Area 2 Late Renaissance ( 16 KB)
- The Collapse of Rome and the Rise of Byzantine Art : what is Byzantine Art? Characteristics and imagery, art forms and icons.
- The Evolution of Painting Techniques During the Renaissance : this site includes a forum discussion, lesson ideas and links to many useful resources.
- The Impact of Classical Antiquities on Renaissance Art : detailed description with images about the influence of classicism on Renaissance art.
- The Medici : biographical information as well as sections on the Medicis and the birth of the Renaissance.
- The Renaissance Connection : these downloadable and printable lessons for Art History and Visual Arts provide background information and detailed planning for senior art teaching and learning about the Renaissance period.
- Tommaso Cassai Masaccio : extensive article focussing on style and technique and includes images and details of most of his art works.
- Trecento - C14th Italian Art : Florentine realism versus Sienese Gothic/Byzantine art.
Style Weblinks - Area 5 Modernism to Postmodernism (Word 2007 18 KB)
Style Weblinks - Area 4 Modernist Architecture (Word 2007 19 KB)
Style Weblinks - Area 3 Early Modernism (Word 2007 17 KB)
Style Weblinks - Area 6 Contemporary Diversity (Word 2007 18 KB)
Area 3 Early Modernism 1900 - 1940 (Word 2007 26 KB)
AREA 4 Modernist Architecture (Word 2007 31 KB)
AREA 5 Modernism to Post-Modernism (Word 2007 29 KB)
Area 6 Contemporary Diversity (Word 2007 33 KB)
- Pop Art (Word 58.5KB) : a list of web links under key artists. The links either provide background information for the artist or provide an image of a selected work.
- The Dinner Party : this excellent interactive site enables students to move around the Dinner Party (now permanently installed at the Brooklyn Museum).
- Copyright Explained