A lunchtime school–wide dance programme for students at years 3 to 6 to meet the needs of students with mixed ability, including those with special needs.
- Ponsonby Primary School is a decile 10 school in central Auckland with 380 students.
- The school has a high level of parental support.
- The classes were held in the all–purpose room.
- The teacher also conducts a Performing Group in terms 1 and 2, and other children join an "experience class" in Terms 3 and 4.
- The teacher had attended dance classes at the Performing Arts School of New Zealand which developed her understanding of how the senses other than visual helped her to respond and react to body weight and working with a partner.
The students involved have a range of special needs, including:
- hearing impairment
- vision impairment
- behavioural problems resulting from foetal alcohol syndrome
- congenital condition (Chromosome difficiency)
- physical disability resulting in poor coordination
- learning difficulties