Music in the Classroom
Students will learn to work as a team, gain confidence and embrace new skills through learning a musical item. The item could be performed for the whole school at their next assembly.
Phone: 021 1424849
Cathy is a dynamic exciting violinist and engaging speaker; passionate about sharing her knowledge of music with individuals, groups and whole schools. Cathy feels that it is an exciting moment for each person when they discover the pleasure of playing, responding or listening to music. Her wide range of presentations include fun musical sessions for preschoolers, interactive demonstrations to primary schools on the orchestral family and performance skills and preparation for NCEA students. As a violinist, she can teach individual or group lessons, or take your orchestra's string sectionals.
Her improvisation workshop is for musicians to develop their own musical voice and communicate with others; suitable for students, amateurs, teachers and performers. The session uses elements of Alice Kanack's Creative Ability Development system, ending with a jazz standard where the participants improvise comfortably at the level of their ability.
- community arts experience:
- taught violin privately
- taken violin group sessions for community groups in Christchurch, Blenheim and Gisborne
- sectionals at NZ schools and Christchurch Youth Orchestra, New Zealand Secondary Schools Orchestra, Nelson Symphony and Malborough Civic Orchestras
- taught fun improvisation lessons to string players to help them find, extend and express their own voice. All ages, all abilities.
- given "Play Your Best" talk at Institute of Registered Music Teachers, Christchurch School of Music
- skills and abilities:
- first violinist in Christchurch Symphony Orchestra
- chamber musician in Tres Cordes String Trio
- free-lance jazz violinist
- adjudicator for Christchurch Competitions
- session improv musician for recording studios
- basic knowledge of recorder, ukulele, guitar
- competent pianist
- created and performed music for special needs groups
- any relevant qualifications:
- B. Mus (with distinction)
- current Project Leader for the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra's Community Engagement Programme
Arts Practice Medium: Music
Topics or Genres of Expertise: a 45 minute long interactive and hands-on workshop for a class to learn an enjoyable musical item. In consultation with the teacher's desires, the session can include elements of song, dance, body percussion or playing percussion instruments, adapted to the ability and age of the children. No prior musical knowledge is required.
Languages Spoken: English
Target Age Group: Junior Primary, Middle Primary, Senior Primary, Junior Secondary
Preferred Group Size: Medium (9-20), Large (20+)
Regions: Canterbury, National
Space and Resources Required: Classroom or hall. Instruments owned by the school can be used (optional). Classroom teacher support required.
$75 per 45 minute workshop.
Mode of Delivery: Workshop
Programme Materials Provided for Schools: Yes