Cathy is a dynamic exciting violinist and engaging speaker; passionate about sharing her knowledge of music with individuals, groups and whole schools. Cathy feels that it is an exciting moment for each person when they discover the pleasure of playing, responding or listening to music. Her wide range of presentations include fun musical sessions for preschoolers, interactive demonstrations to primary schools on the orchestral family and performance skills and preparation for NCEA students. As a violinist, she can teach individual or group lessons, or take your orchestra's string sectionals.
Her improvisation workshop is for musicians to develop their own musical voice and communicate with others; suitable for students, amateurs, teachers and performers. The session uses elements of Alice Kanack's Creative Ability Development system, ending with a jazz standard where the participants improvise comfortably at the level of their ability.
- community arts experience:
- taught violin privately
- taken violin group sessions for community groups in Christchurch, Blenheim and Gisborne
- sectionals at NZ schools and Christchurch Youth Orchestra, New Zealand Secondary Schools Orchestra, Nelson Symphony and Malborough Civic Orchestras
- taught fun improvisation lessons to string players to help them find, extend and express their own voice. All ages, all abilities.
- given "Play Your Best" talk at Institute of Registered Music Teachers, Christchurch School of Music
- skills and abilities:
- first violinist in Christchurch Symphony Orchestra
- chamber musician in Tres Cordes String Trio
- free-lance jazz violinist
- adjudicator for Christchurch Competitions
- session improv musician for recording studios
- basic knowledge of recorder, ukulele, guitar
- competent pianist
- created and performed music for special needs groups
- any relevant qualifications:
- B. Mus (with distinction)
- current Project Leader for the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra's Community Engagement Programme
Phone: 021 1424849