Responding, Analysing and Talking about Dance - Years 2-10
- Ways to use the Dance Vocabulary Cards
- Responding, Analysing and Talking about Dance - Years 2-10
- Using Action Words
- Thinking about Choreography - Years 1-10
- Practical Differentiation
Suggestions for use:
- Enlarge, photocopy, cut into separate 'starters', and laminate.
- The aim of this activity is to encourage students to talk about dance in a safe environment. The students work together to form opinions about dance.
- Organise the class into groups of 3-4 students.
- Allow each group to select one discussion starter, which they read in their groups prior to observing dance.
- Students observe a dance from class work or from a video/DVD.
- Give groups 2-3 minutes to talk about their discussion starter and then one student from each group shares their thoughts with the class.
- Repeat with different discussion starters and students take turns to be the group reporter.
- Once confidence has developed, this activity could also be used for students to make individual oral responses.
Years 5-10 response cards
Dance vocabulary to revise:
Opening moment, levels, pathways, body bases, locomotor and non-locomotor movement, directions, energy
We liked the way _________________ because ______________. The most exciting part was when ________________________ We thought it was exciting because _______________________ At the beginning of the dance, the dancers were ______________ ___________________________________________________ During the middle of the dance we saw _____________________ We thought ______________ because ____________________ The dance finished when _____________________________. We thought ______________________________________
Levels: High, medium, low
The dancers used different levels when _______________ This was _______________ because _______________
Pathways: Air and floor, straight, curved, zigzag, other
The pathways we saw in the dance were ________ The pathways were ___________ because ________________
Body Bases: Standing, sitting, kneeling, lying
The body bases we saw used in the dance were _______________
Locomotor movement = travelling movement, Non-Locomotor movement = movement on the spot
The locomotor movements we saw were __________________ The non-locomotor movements we saw were _______________
Directions: Forwards, backwards, right, left, diagonal, up, down
The different directions we saw in the dance were ____________
Energy: Strong, weak, firm, light, soft, heavy
The dancers performed the dance with ____ moves when _______ One way to develop their dance could be to __________________
Years 2-4 Response Cards
Dance vocabulary to revise:
Locomotor movement (travelling movement), Body Bases (standing, kneeling, sitting, lying)
Our favourite part was when ___________ We saw the dancers do _______________ We think the dance was ______________ We would like to try ________________ The dance began when ______________ The dance ended when _____________ The locomotor moves they used were ______________ The body bases they used were __________________
Download RTF file (RTF 1 KB)