Region: Nelson/Marlborough/West Coast
Art form: Pacific performing arts, dance, drama, and singing
Project name: Pacific Performing Arts in Schools
Creative name: Tevita Vaka
Project information: Marlborough has a newly growing Pacific community with limited opportunities for Pacific students to be involved in meaningful learning that acknowledge their identity, language, and culture. This proposal gives an opportunity to strengthen the positive outcomes from the pilot Pacific Performing Arts in schools programme from 2019. The project will involve 10 primary schools in Marlborough working with Tevita to learn Pacific dance and song to be performed in school and at the Marlborough Polyfest. The schools involved are Springlands, Blenheim, Mayfield, Redwoodtown, St Marys, Bohally, Whitney Street, Picton, Seddon, and Renwick.
- Learn Pacific performing dance, song, language and culture.
- Develop creative skills in learning choreography and working collaboratively with others.
- Gain personal pride, confidence and ownership of the creative process and product. Inspire careers in the arts.
- Students maintain collaborative and respectful relationship that enhance learning and well-being.
- Provide opportunities for students to lead learning and take leading roles that are acknowledged by the community.
- Actively participate in modeling practices and pedagogies that support Pacific educational success.
- Pacific learners are confident and successful in both Pacific and English medium contexts.
- Students evidence the importance of Pacific identity languages and cultural values and approaches.
Project status: Completed