My arts or creative practice (including details about my specific focus within that art form/practice and my strengths)
My creative practice is dance. In particular, Hip Hop dance styles and traditional Tongan cultural dance. My strength is choreography and I have been involved with this in a Theatre Company. I have also run after school Hip Hop dance classes in one primary school and one secondary school. In addition, I have been a tutor for the Tongan cultural group in two secondary schools for the ASB Polyfest competition and have been undefeated for first place for the past five years in the boys' section for a local college. I am currently leading two dance workshops a week to promote students wellbeing in the secondary school where I am a teacher aide and teach traditional Tongan dance one hour a week in the Year 9 Tongan language class at the same school.
My track record of experience and success - or the track record of experience and success of the creative or artist that I will partner with
- Lead tutor secondary dance competition (for a local college)
- Attended Excel Performing Arts School (Certificate)
- Member of dance crew for a competition in Sydney, Australia
- Represented New Zealand top three dance crews for Hip Hop International (Las Vegas)
- Member of a Theatre Company, NZ-wide
- Dance School tutor
- Member of dance crew/lead tutor Tongan Polyfest group (for a local college)
- As above plus leading primary and secondary school dance classes
- Member of [redacted] dance crew/lead tutor Tongan Polyfest groups (several colleges and schools)
- Leader Wellbeing Dance workshops
- Tutor Y9 Tongan language class and traditional Tongan cultural dance.
Describe the experience you have had working with children or young people, teaching or facilitating creative processes
I have had extensive experience working with children and young people in the discipline of dance. As outlined previously, my speciality is the Hip Hop dance form and I have led student workshops in both primary and secondary schools and on several occasions I have prepared these students for national competitions. Lately I have also been using my gift in dance to conduct wellbeing dance sessions for secondary school students who may be experiencing stress due to the Covid situation. I have also been working with secondary school students for the past five years teaching traditional Tongan cultural dances in preparation for the Auckland Polyfest competition.
Why I want to be part of the Creatives in Schools programme and how my involvement will link to my creative practice
My speciality is dancing Hip Hop in a dance company. The link to my work in this school would be teaching this art form to students as part of their performing arts programme. There has been no dance tuition at this school in the last few years.