Lincoln High School.
My arts or creative practice (including details about my specific focus within that art form/practice and my strengths)
I am a high-school English teacher and award-winning writer. I also mentor writers and enjoy helping young people to find their voice and develop their writing skills.
My track record of experience and success - or the track record of experience and success of the creative or artist that I will partner with
Writing-related employment experience:
- Judge for the NZCYA Book Awards, Ronald Hugh Morrison Awards, and the BNZ Katherine Mansfield Short Story Awards
- Storylines Authors’ Tour – Northland
- Book Council Author Tours: various and on-going
- Writing workshop presenter since 2002
- Writers in Schools: full and half-days with schools around New Zealand, since 2000 (including Speed Date an Author - Dunedin, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch)
- Examiner, Masters in Creative Writing, Auckland University
- Writing Mentor/tutor, Hagley Writers’ Institute
- Examiner/writing tutor, Northtec, Whangarei
- Writer in Residence, Dunedin College of Education
- Winner NZCYA Book Awards
- Excellence Scholarship in Arts, The University of Otago
- TeachNZ Study Award Scholarship
- Four-time winner of Storylines Notable Book Award
- Shortlisted and winner of LIANZA Young Adult Award
- Shortlisted for NZ Post Children’s Book Awards
- Children Writer in Residence Dunedin College of Education
- Nominated three times for National Excellence in Teaching Awards
Describe the experience you have had working with children or young people, teaching or facilitating creative processes
I have been teaching for thirty years. I am the teacher in charge of writing at our school. Many of my students over the years have had their work published and placed in competitions. I have been involved in Storylines (tours and workshops) and writers in schools; speed date an author workshops; mentoring with School for Young Writers.
Why I want to be part of the Creatives in Schools programme and how my involvement will link to my creative practice
I want to be able to use my skills to support the students in our area - most, because of the distance from the centre city, are unable to get to extra-curricular activities which focus on creative writing skills. It would be fantastic if the schools had the funding to support the bringing in someone to do this work outside of Lincoln High School.