Frequently asked questions
What is Musicnet?
Musicnet is an email mailing list facilitated by Martin Emo . It is open to all teachers of Music and other interested educators. Musicnet is a place to share ideas, request help and resources, and establish professional relationships. It is not a forum for political debate. Subscribers to Musicnet will also receive Arts Online updates. Because Musicnet is moderated, there is a time delay between emailing a message, and receiving it by email through the mailing list. All approved messages are archived in forum archives . As all messages to this community are archived for future reference, please ensure any personal or contact details included in your post are those you wish to share. Attachments to messages are not archived
What are the guidelines for posting to Musicnet?
Posts relating to education-based professional services may be approved for distribution if they are:
- closely related to the community’s needs i.e. a skills development workshop for Music
- published once only
- brief with a link to more information where appropriate
Please note that posts related to commercial products or workshops do not imply endorsement by the Ministry of Education. Professional Learning (PL) opportunities can be advertised in the Events area of Arts Online. If posting to mailing lists the following details should be included: A 'reply to' email address clearly stated at the start of the description. Responses will not be relayed back through the Musicnet. A clear statement about the relationship of the PL to curriculum implementation, assessment, and/or NCEA, or to specific arts learning.
- Responding to another message: private vs. public posting. When you respond to a message, Musicnet is set so that your response will go automatically back to the whole community and not the original author. Please ensure your message is adding to the conversation.
- Sign your messages. Emails should be signed with your name and email address. Anonymous posting to lists makes it very difficult for people to respond to you privately.
- Keep email messages brief. For example, if you want to announce a call for registration for a conference, post a summary and let subscribers know how to access more details instead of posting the entire conference programme.
- Attaching files. Although you are able to send an attachment of up to 1 megabyte (find the size of a file by right-clicking on the file and choosing 'Properties'), we encourage you to share resources instead through the Music Teacher Resource Exchange where, after a simple upload process (and moderation), your file is available as a permanent resource for the whole community. Please note, attachments are not archived.
How do I subscribe to Musicnet?
To join Musicnet, click here and complete the signup form at the top of the page. When you first join Musicnet, please post an introduction of yourself to the group, and feel free to suggest any discussion topics. You may post at any time by sending a message to email@example.com.
How do I unsubscribe from Musicnet?
To unsubscribe, click here .
Where is the Musicnet archive and is it searchable?
You can access and search an archive of posts to the community here.
(Adapted with permission from Andy Carvin's FAQ for the World Wide Web in Education list.)