Shape, Number, Pattern curriculum links
Strands and achievement objectives
The following strands and achievement objectives from The Arts in the New Zealand Curriculum apply to this unit.
PK – Developing Practical Knowledge in Dance
Students will identify and explore through movement the dance elements of body awareness, space, time, energy, and relationships.
DI – Developing Ideas in Dance
Students will initiate and express dance ideas based on a variety of stimuli.
CI – Communicating and Interpreting in Dance
Students will share dance through informal presentation and describe how dance expresses ideas and feelings.
UC – Understanding Dance in Context
Students will demonstrate an awareness of dance as part of community life.
Specific learning outcomes
Students will be able to:
- explore maths through movement (both individually and in groups) by using locomotor and non-locomotor movement, levels, and shapes, on/off/over/under directions and relationships (strand PK)*
- choose three mathematical activities and combine them into a movement sequence (strand DI)
- share the group dance by performing the three linked-up mathematical ideas (strand CI)
- observe and discuss the chosen mathematical activities and the use of the elements: space, relationships, etc (strand CI)*
- by viewing photos and performances, discuss the formations and patterns of family and community dances (strand UC).*
Note: Asterix * denotes outcomes to be assessed.