The Safe Place
- A Special Gift
- Who's To Blame?
- Car Care
- What Goes Around...
- Wakatipu's Giant
- The Safe Place
- Our Shame
Writers:Chris Walsh & Evelyn Mann
The drama was written as an example of the way process drama can be used to motivate a shared reading text and actively explore the meaning. It is the use of a variety of drama conventions that underpins the structure.
Key Question: If we love someone what are we prepared to do to protect him or her?
- Our babies are precious to us.
- We need to protect our babies before and after birth.
Connected Curriculum Areas: English, Science and Dance. Key Competencies - Thinking, Managing Self, and Relationships.
Possible Learning Intentions and indicators are offered for this drama. We acknowledge that there are many other possible learning intentions and that you might prefer to write your own in response to the needs of your students. The learning intentions offered are examples to choose from and to guide teachers new to drama in writing learning intentions. There are a variety of ways for collecting evidence to support learning.
Possible Drama Learning Intentions:
The students will be able to:
- Respond appropriately to Teacher In Role; Mother Hen. PK DI
- Take part in a blanket role (people of the village, hen) contributing to the narrative. PK DI
- Discuss what drama is and how we take part. CI UC
- Identify when they are in role, and when they are not. PK
Develop Indicators with the students for Learning Intentions. Here is an example of indicators, which will also be used to focus assessment, for the learning intention: Take part in a blanket role contributing to the narrative. PK DI Indicators: Students can
- Accept a role and respond by taking part in the action.
- Interact effectively with others in role using techniques e.g. voice, facial expression.
- Portray a chicken hatching through improvised movement to music.
Drama Resources available in New Zealand Schools
It is important that you refer to these resources to support the content in these plans.
- Ministry of Education. 2001. Drama in the Classroom. Wellington: Learning Media. (Book and Video)
- Ministry of Education. 2007. Drama Posters, 2007. Wellington: Learning Media,
- Ministry of Education. 2006. Playing Our Stories. Wellington: Learning Media. (Book and DVD)
- Ministry of Education. 2004. Telling Our Stories, Wellington: Learning Media. (Book and Video)
- Ministry of Education. 2003. The New Zealand Curriculum Exemplars - The Arts. Wellington: Learning Media and the Learning Centre Trust of New Zealand.
- Arts Online - Te Hāpori o Nāga Toi
- Ministry of Education. 2007. Drama Poster Notes
- Ministry of Education. Te Kete Ipurangi (TKI) Website
Resources applicable to this drama:
- Mooar, Sue. 1999. The Safe Place. Ready to Read series. Wellington: Learning Media
- Ministry of Education. Dance Posters. Wellington: Learning Media
Download Word file (Word 62 KB)