Music Programme – Belmont Primary School
A College of Education lecturer in 2000 returns to primary education as a specialist teacher to develop and coordinate a school wide music programme.
School and teachers
- Belmont Primary is a decile 8 school in North Shore City, Auckland catering for years 1–6.
- The school is largely European with an increasing number of Korean and Chinese students.
- The teacher is employed 0.5 in the school as the music specialist.
Music is a unique way of organising and making sense of sound. It is a way of knowing that influences how we see the world, express our views of the world, and come to know the world. The Arts in the New Zealand Curriculum, p 52
Purpose and outcomes
The purpose is to:
- provide students with an enriching classroom music programme;
- run specialist performance groups as time allows;
- facilitate school singing;
- advocate for music and the arts in the school community.