Creative ID: 150
Art form(s): Visual Arts, Multi-Disciplinary.
Based in: Timaru.
When I'm available: I intend to take my son to Australia to meet my family and engage with his Aboriginal Culture at the end of Term 3. Ideally this project will occur in Terms 1 and 2. I am flexible with times and days.
Where I'm available: Timaru.
My arts or creative practice (including details about my specific focus within that art form/practice and my strengths)
I am a Visual Artist with a focus on drawing and painting, however I also work with printmaking and mixed media. Of late I have been developing my skills as a writer. Examples of my artwork and writing can be found on my Facebook page or alternatively on Instagram. Obviously some of the subject matter is not suitable for children but they offer insight into my skill base. My paintings reflect my Aboriginal and European ancestry in the forms of storytelling and symbolism. I paint both in realistic and abstract styles.
My track record of experience and success - or the track record of experience and success of the creative or artist that I will partner with
- 5 years of Tertiary Fine Arts Study.
- 4 years Tutoring Fine Arts at a Polytechnic.
- 1 year teaching at Secondary level.
- 16 years running my own private lessons for children and adults from my studio.
- Exhibiting in solo and group exhibitions since 1999.
- My work is in homes all over the world including Brazil and Australia. And also in a local Art Museum/Gallery collection.
- I have been selected and shortlisted for various awards and won the Supreme Award for Artistic Excellence at my graduating show.
- Over the years I have won various awards locally.
Describe the experience you have had working with children or young people, teaching or facilitating creative processes
I have worked with all age groups for the past 16 years including teaching Junior Art at Secondary level, Tutoring Fine Arts-Life Drawing, Painting, Māori Art, Sculpture and 3-D at Tertiary level and running my own classes covering every Visual Art discipline. Lesson planning, meeting objectives, budgeting etc. were all inclusive.
Why I want to be part of the Creatives in Schools programme and how my involvement will link to my creative practice
I am passionate about arts and creativity. We live in a world where creativity is undervalued but more essential than ever. Critical and creative thinking is what moves us forward. I want to see children confident to pitch an idea, challenged by how to realise their ideas and to simply engage on a level that has no boundaries. I am constantly challenging myself and being involved in this programme will not only stretch my current skill base but add to it. To be constantly learning means I’m constantly growing as an Artist and as a person.