Creative ID: 086
Art form(s): Theatre.
Based in: Christchurch.
When I'm available: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday.
Where I'm available: Christchurch.
My arts or creative practice (including details about my specific focus within that art form/practice and my strengths)
I am a practicing Drama teacher and have a B.Ed Performing Arts and Grad Dip Teaching and Learning.
What I do:
- Performance skills and development
- Speech training
- Ensemble practices to develop team bonds and create collaborative experiences
- Communication for ‘life’
- Use Drama tools to develop ideas and solutions
- Sound pedagogical knowledge and innovative teaching methods
- Learning through ‘play’
What I believe:
Drama and the arts have a significant role to play in guiding us to develop self-understanding, self-esteem, and self-reliance. It gives us the space to develop respectful and productive relationships with others around us as it encourages us to be empathetic and create connections. At the core of my philosophy is an enthusiasm for exposing learners to experiences and tools that will allow them to test their understanding, develop inquiry, and encourage new capabilities to emerge. I have sound pedagogical knowledge of teaching and learning. My passion for being a creative, resourceful, and inclusive facilitator has strengthened and I have seen the evidence of developing confident and capable learners through my interactive philosophy. I enjoy sharing the passion I have with others and I love watching my work create a positive environment.
My track record of experience and success - or the track record of experience and success of the creative or artist that I will partner with
- 2016–2018 Teacher in charge of Middle School Drama in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 2011–2015 High School Drama Teacher (Years 9–13, including scholarship Drama)
- 2007–2011 Drama Teacher
- 2006 Voice and Speech Tutor
Describe the experience you have had working with children or young people, teaching or facilitating creative processes
I have experience teaching and facilitating from kindergarten right through to secondary school and all students of all abilities and interest levels.
- Directing the school production
- Coordination of theatre festivals, both local and abroad
- Organisation of school assemblies
- Teacher in charge of coordinating the Drama learning programme and initiating new learning ideas
- Establishing new systems in the running of theatre spaces
- Coordinating the after-school activities programme
- Establishing 'Arts Hub': a lunchtime social group for MS Arts lovers. A place where students could come and hang out and do all things 'arty'!
Why I want to be part of the Creatives in Schools programme and how my involvement will link to my creative practice
This is a great initiative! It is an opportunity for schools and community groups to celebrate those of us with creative skills; which in turn will foster and develop wider learning for our students and young people. It is a great way for teachers and creatives to pull together to give the best we can to our learners.