Creative ID: 077
Art form(s): Craft/Object, Visual Arts, Community Art.
Based in: Invercargill.
When I'm available: Any time, I am flexible so this can be negotiated.
Where I'm available: Mid November 2019 and all of 2020, interested in Otago and Southland regions but could travel further depending on what is available.
My arts or creative practice (including details about my specific focus within that art form/practice and my strengths)
I am a third year bachelor of Visual Art student currently completing my degree in 2019. My practice is based around creative play through the creation of anthropomorphic story characters and presented using the found and handmade objects in diorama-style installations. As part of my internship I work with a group of teenagers and tutor weekly art and craft sessions with them at the Invercargill Activity Centre. My art has a focus on repurposing materials to help reduce landfills.
My track record of experience and success - or the track record of experience and success of the creative or artist that I will partner with
- Achieved Certificate in Visual Art and Design, 2014
- Achieved Diploma in Visual Art, level 6 2018
- Completing Bachelor of Visual Art, level 7 and due to graduate 2019
- Art Tutor, 2019, current role as part of my Internship for my degree
Describe the experience you have had working with children or young people, teaching or facilitating creative processes
- 2019 Working with a small group of at-risk teenagers during the 2019 High School Year. Role is to facilitate art and craft sessions and encourage creativity. Age group is from 14 to 16 years, or year 9 to 11.
- 2004 Completed Certificate in Teacher Aide, worked with new entrants at a decile 1 school, Napier as part of my training.
- Facilitating a creative workshop in November, 2019 – up to 10 participants to share about my practice and run a creative workshop about repurposed objects and creative collaboration.
Why I want to be part of the Creatives in Schools programme and how my involvement will link to my creative practice
I would like to be able to gain employment in my chosen field and share my creative passion with children or teenagers. As a visual artist I think I have something to offer a creative programme, and be able to continue working with my own projects.