Creative ID: 072
Art form(s): Fashion Design, Theatre, Visual Arts, Craft/Object.
Based in: Karitane.
When I'm available: At this stage all year – I do have my own business in Marine Surveying, so I am only available part time.
Where I'm available: All of Central, North Dunedin, Waitaki to Waikouaiti and East Otago.
My arts or creative practice (including details about my specific focus within that art form/practice and my strengths)
I have been involved in textiles my whole life, having learnt from my parents and grandparents from a young age. I work within a wide spectrum of scale, materials and processes – from fine needlepoint to architectural-sized pieces. I incorporate my artistic career into my family life with four young children, a passion for horse riding, gardening and as a registered art teacher.
My track record of experience and success - or the track record of experience and success of the creative or artist that I will partner with
- Master of Fine Art (with Merit).
- Certificate of Digital Photography.
- Postgraduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary).
- Bachelor of Fine Art.
- Diploma in Textiles and Jewellery.
- Diploma in Fashion Design.
SELECTED ART PRACTICE:
- Guest exhibitor. NZ Fashion and Textiles Symposium. Te Papa/Massey University. Wellington 2016.
- West Harbour Arts Trust, Artist in Residence. Port Chalmers 2016.
- Two parts. Dunedin 2016.
- Samples and New Work. Solo exhibition. Forrester Art Gallery. Oamaru. 2016
- Vogel Street Party Festival. Selected Feature Artist. Dunedin City Council. Dunedin. 2014.
- Selected feature artist, Art Tardis. University of Otago Art week. Dunedin 2014.
- Daphne Purves Award. Winner. To attend Brozzetti Weaving Laboratory, Perugia, Italy.
- Wallace Art Gallery, solo exhibition. Morrinsville 2014–15.
- Group show. University of Otago. Dunedin 2014.
- Two parts. Commemoration of 70 years since the Battle of Cassino. Italy. 2014.
Describe the experience you have had working with children or young people, teaching or facilitating creative processes
- Primary School artist in residence 2016.
- Intermediate – Art Teacher and Performance Art coordinator 2014–2015.
- Collegiate School – Technology and Skill for Living Teacher 2006–2012.
- Riding for the Disabled Vice President 2018–current.
Why I want to be part of the Creatives in Schools programme and how my involvement will link to my creative practice
I am no longer teaching art in schools full time due to my family commitments – But I adore teaching and this is a perfect opportunity for me to be involved again. I find teaching hugely inspirational for my own studio practice – the students always have excellent ways of thinking that can assist my own problem solving – simply by processing information in a slightly different way. My current studio is based at home where I am working with weaving and painting combined.